APJ Abdul Kalam – A name, “APJ Abdul Kalam”, and multiple emotions. Who needs an introduction to the epic APJ Abdul Kalam? Without taking much time, we quickly get into the article and learn about their achievements, childhoods and more details.
APJ Abdul Kalam
For those who don’t know, APJ Abdul Kalam’s full name is Awul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, born on October 15, 1931. He was born in Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu. He is well known as an Indian scientist and politician and has contributed greatly to the development of India’s missile and nuclear weapons programs. We are just getting started and learning about their amazing journey, childhood, history, their awards and honors, books they have written and more.
APJ Abdul Kalam History
APJ Abdul Kalam’s life has been a tremendous inspiration to all the young students out there and who can see it. Life was not fair to anyone and Kalam was just like them. He avoided becoming a fighter pilot by just one, as there were only 8 available in the IAF and Kalam was ninth. After joining the Defense Research and Development Service, he joined the Defense Research and Development Institute as an Aeronautical Development Establishment. Kalam was later transferred to ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) as the project director of the first SLV-3 (satellite launch vehicle). In July 2015, Dr. Abdul Kalam suffered a heart attack while lecturing at IIM Shillong. His condition worsened, and he was shifted to Bethany Hospital, where he was pronounced dead of a heart attack.
APJ Abdul Kalam Childhood
APJ Abdul Kalam was born in Rameshwaram and was the youngest of four brothers and sisters in the family. Kalam, at an early age, had to sell newspapers to contribute to his family’s income. At school, Kalam is believed to be an average student, however, with a passion for learning. He finished school at Schwartz Higher Secondary School, Ramanathapuram. Later, he graduated in Physics at St. Joseph’s College, Tiruchirappalli. To pursue his dream, he traveled to Madras and studied aerospace engineering at the Madras Institute of Technology.
APJ Abdul Kalam Biography
What Kalam has accomplished in his life journey is not a cakewalk. It took effort, hard perseverance, consistent input and not being a “missile man”. Find achievements, inventions, awards and honors in the following section.
APJ Abdul Kalam Achievements
Between the 1970s and 1990s, Kalam did not stop there and tried to develop the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) and SLV-3. Not surprisingly, both of these projects were victorious. His journey did not stop there, and he was instrumental in developing many missiles, including fire. Kalam then served as the Prime Minister’s Chief Scientific Advisor and the DRDO Secretary between July 1992 and December 1999. He was considered a national hero after contributing so much to the country. Kalam expanded access not only to the field of aeronautics but also to health and education. In July 2002, he became India’s 11th president after outgoing president Kocheril Raman Narayanan. The President of India will look through the following table to know the findings of APJ Abdul Kalam.
APJ Abdul Kalam Awards And Honours
The list below will tell you the awards and honors received by Abdul Kalam.
- 1981 – Padma Bhushan by the Government of India.
- 1990- Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.
- 1994 and 1995- Distinguished Fellow and Honorary Fellow by the Institute of Directors India and National Academy of Medical Sciences.
- 1997 – Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration of Bharat Ratna and Indian National Congress from Government of India.
- 1998- Veer Savarkar Award from Government of India.
- 2000 – Ramanujan Award from Alwar’s Research Center, Chennai.
- 2007- Royal Society, U.K. By the King Charles II Medal and a Doctorate of Science from the University of Wolverhampton, UK.
- 2008 – awarded the Hoover Medal by the ASME Foundation of the USA and received a Doctor of Engineering from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2009- Hoover Medal by ASME Foundation of the USA and Honorary Doctorate from the University of Oakland. The California Institute of Technology, USA, awarded Kalam an International Von Kerman Wings Award.
- 2010- Doctor of Engineering from the University of Waterloo.
- 2011 – IEEE Kalam was honored with the IEEE Honor Membership.
- 2012- Doctor of Laws from Simon Fraser University.
- 2013 – Von Braun Award from the National Space Society.
- 2014- Doctor of Science at the University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Dr. Kalam is an honorary doctorate from 40 universities.
- Dr. The United Nations marks Kalam’s 79th birthday as a World Student’s Day.
- He was nominated for the MTV Youth Icon of the Year in 2003 and 2006.
- After his death, he received several honors, such as the Tamil Nadu State Government on October 15, which was declared to celebrate his birthday as a “Youth Renaissance Day” across the state.
- The State Government has granted Dr. The APJ Abdul Kalam Award was presented with an 8g gold medal, certificate and Rs 500,000.
- Independence Day, since 2015, will be awarded annually to state residents with achievements in promoting scientific development, humanity or the welfare of students.
- 15 October, 2015 – On the 84th anniversary of Kalam’s birth, Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi unveiled postage stamps commemorating Kalam at DRDO Bhawan in New Delhi.
- Also, researchers at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory have named the new bacterium as the ISS (International Space Station) Solibacillus kalami filters to honor the late President, Dr. Abdul Kalam.
APJ Abdul Kalam Books
- India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium- 1998
- Wings of Fire: An Autobiography- 1999
- Ignited Minds: Unleashing the Power in India- 2002
- The Luminous Sparks: A Biography in Verses and Colors – 2004
- Guiding Souls: Dialogues on the Purpose of Life- 2005
- Mission of India: A Vision of Indian Youth – 2005
- Inspiring Thoughts: Quote Series – 2007
- You were born to be born: Take My Journey Beyond- 2011
- The Scientific India: A Twenty-First Century Guide to the World Around Us- 2011
- Failure in Success: Legendary Lives- 2011
- Target 3 billion- 2011
- You are unique: Measuring new heights by thoughts and actions- 2012
- Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges- 2012
- Indomitable spirit- 2013
- Spirit of India- 2013
- Thoughts for Change: We Can Do It- 2013
- My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions- 2013
- Governance for Growth in India- 2014
- Manifesto for Change – 2014
- Formulate Your Future: Candidate, Forthright, Inspiring- 2014
- Beyond 2020: A Vision for Tomorrow India- 2014
- Guide Lighting: A selection of quotes from my favorite books- 2015
- Reign: Scientific Paths to a Bright Future- 2015
- Family and nation- 2015
- Beyond My Spiritual Experiences- 2015
FAQs About APJ Abdul Kalam
When did APJ Abdul Kalam become the India President?
APJ Abdul Kalam became India’s 11th President in 2002 July.
Where was APJ Abdul Kalam is born?
The APJ Abdul Kalam is born in Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu, India.
When Is the APJ Abdul Kalam receive the Bharat Ratna Award?
APJ Abdul Kalam is the received Bharat Ratna Award in 1997.